HARRY OM

Saturday, May 21, 2005

Algrebra and my exams!!!!!

Exams commence in about 10 days and, true to my nature, all I have done in the p.l is waste time (and wasting some more by blogging this nonsense..). As a result of which I have again landed myself in the 80-20 situation where I have to still cover 80% of syllabus with 20% of the time remaining. ;-(

And as a desperate measure I am now going to employ the ALGEBRAIC MULTIGRID METHOD in my preparation.
To the uninitiated, the AMG technique is used to solve a large (and i mean "LARGE"...jus like my syllabus) set of equations. In this method we represent the entire system of equations in the form of a Grid. This grid is coarsened and different levels are generated, wherein every level has lesser number of nodes than the previous one. We keep coarsening until a stage is reached such that the original system of equations is reduced to a solvable form. Therefore, at the coarsest level, the equations are solved and the results of this level are interpolated to the finer level and we keep interpolating until we reach the finest level. This top-down and subsequent bottom-up (i.e. coarsening and then interpolating) approach helps us to finally come up with the solution for our "large" system of equations.

If some of you fools, are still wondering as to how this nonsense is going to help me with my preparation...well, here goes.... The syllabus is quite large...as a result coarsening needs to be done...first, by cutting down on the no. of pages...then no. of topics .. so on and so forth.....until I reach my coarsest level i.e. the names of indiviual topics.....As for interpolating...I shall first learn the subtitles under the main topics...then some keywords under the subtitles.then some sentences...then some diagrams...and so on....

However, there does lie one difference, unlike the original method where it is absolutely necessary to roll up to the finest level, in my case it is alright to stop midway cos not only do I not have the time but also it is "Mumbai University" yaar...where more than the content i got to concentrate on the length of my answers ;;-))

Hmm...Doesnt it sound smart and full proof....I better get at it right away....

P.s.: If you are reading this it would imply, you have read the article as well, which would further imply that both you and me have nothing better in the world to do than reading (you) or writing (me) such piece of crap ;;-))

3 Comments:

At 10:58 AM , Blogger Madhav said...

Heh heh ... guess we'll never stop formulating new strategies for exams ... question is how many of them do we actually implement properly?! :-)

 
At 12:03 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

heyya,

been reading your and maddy's blog from over a month i guess ... i'm in SE comp, will be TE soon (yippy)
anyway, nice stuff. i wish u'd write more about college tho, it would make me feel real good if i relate to any of it ... but u're almost done with engg now ... out of the hell ... :-)
that quiz ... what is that?! i didnt even understand the questions!! :-p
okay then .. keep posting!!
and u too maddy!!
(feeling lazy to go to ur blog and post a comment there too ... i know you'll read it here itself!)

See ya!

~Scorpion

 
At 1:07 PM , Blogger Harsh said...

Thanx!

I guess you might have already read...but still.. I had written a 4 part series abt college life. Click here
Also, maddy had a written a very nice poem dedicated to coll life..

Do keep visiting our blogs!!

P.s: What quiz?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home